A Brief History
St. Helen’s School can trace its history back to 1815
The first National School had 100 children on roll, 50 of each sex. However by the 1860s the first building was not large enough and the second school building, which is still standing on the triangle of land between the church and Brewhouse Hill, was built. It opened in December 1862. The school moved onto its present site in 1935 when a two-classroom block near the main entrance was built. The present main building was erected in 1969.
In 2000 the original classrooms on the site were demolished and the main school extended to include 2 additional classrooms and a dedicated ICT suite.
In 2014, another 4 classrooms- the “new block” was built and officially opened by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Alan of St. Albans in December 2014.